In Case You Missed It:
– Troy Renck delves into the fight of QB Mark Sanchez throughout his life and how it made him who he is today. A good story to read even for those who aren’t interested in football.
– The Louisiana State Police were asked by Cardell Hayes’ attorney to investigate the Will Smith incident further and they denied his request.
– The Houston Texans have released QB Brian Hoyer.
– T Don Barclay will resign with the Packers but there is no word on whether FB John Kuhn will remain with the team.
– CB Brandon Browner will rejoin the Seahawks.
– Work on the new Minnesota Vikings stadium is currently 95% complete.
– Former Texas Tech WR, Jakeem Grant, will visit the Dolphins today.
– Mike Florio suggests the Jets talks with QB Ryan Fitzpatrick could get interesting if they feel Brian Hoyer can be a fit for them.
Q: Anything you want to say to him (Johnny Manziel)?
“Yea, I want to help get Johnny back to Johnny Manziel. Johnny Football, that’s beside the fact. I want to get Johnny back to being Johnny Manziel. I remember what it was for me when I was in a similar situation, it was the people around me that helped motivate me to get to the same Von that I was.”
“He’s had people walk out on him. He’s had people who have given up on him. I’m not going to be that guy. I’ve never been that guy. Johnny’s my brother. I didn’t play with him at Texas A&M, but he’s my brother and we have a unique relationship. I’m here to help him no matter what it is. I’m tied to him, good or bad. You can’t ever count anybody out and I think everybody who has counted him out is just wrong.”
“You have to take life one day at a time and I’m here with him and I’m here to remind him that I’m here to help him.”
Q: What can you do to help get him on the right track?
“Just to remind him of who he is. The Johnny Manziel who I first met. The fun-loving, outgoing Johnny Manziel who cared about everybody. Where he’s at, it’s hard to know what’s up, down, right, wrong -I’ve been there. And it was people like me who reminded me what was right and what was wrong, that’s what I’m trying to do for Johnny.”
Q: You followed similar paths, both rising to stardom, why has your story turned out better than his?
“There’s a lot of factors I can’t go into but adversity is adversity. No matter how big or small. As human beings we all struggle with consistency, I think people forget that. When you see Johnny, you’re quick to bash, but we all have problems with consistency and I’m here to help him.”
Q: Do you think he’s going to end up on a NFL team this year?
“Like I said before, I’m not worried about Johnny Football, I’m worried about Johnny Manziel -getting him back to the Johnny Manziel I know he can be.”
Q: Has Johnny been receptive to people like you reaching out and trying to help?
“I don’t know about other people, but he’s my brother. It’s been a brotherly relationship since Day 1.”
I personally think Demarcus Ware had a big impact on Von when he was going through his challenges and he wants to be the same kind of mentor to Johnny Manziel. Nothing wrong with that at all.
– Talks between RB Ronnie Hillman and the Denver Broncos have “heated up” according to Mike Klis of 9News.
– Andrew Mason answers all things Broncos in his weekend mailbag. Also, someone asked if QB Matt Hasselbeck could be a possible short-term solution.
– The Broncos are set to begin their off-season workouts.
– This is what a mock draft would look like if Emmitt Smith and Matt Millen combined to make one. The Broncos select QB Christian Hamburger out of Penn State and T Laremy Tunsil was selected twice.
– Somebody took the time to predict the scores of all 267 regular season games. Broncos finish 11-5 AND win the AFC division title AND secure the #2 seed in the AFC.
“Remember that doing your best is better than being the best.” – Anonymous