Last week, I opened up guesses as to whom could make the 2019 Broncos roster. Eight respondents submitted their guesses. Here are the differences that came up in those eight responses.
35 players were unanimous makes to the roster.
Those players, in alphabetical order, were Garett Bolles, Devontae Booker, Bryce Callahan, Bradley Chubb, Todd Davis, Noah Fant, Joe Flacco, Royce Freeman, Troy Fumagalli, Adam Gotsis, Jeff Heuerman, Kareem Jackson, Ja’Wuan James, Andy Janovich, Josey Jewell, Dre’Mont Jones, Casey Kreiter, Ron Leary, Phillip Lindsay, Drew Lock, Connor McGovern, Brandon McManus, Von Miller, Will Parks, Tim Patrick, Dalton Risner, Emmanuel Sanders, Justin Simmons, Courtland Sutton, Dekoda Watson, Elijah Wilkinson, Derek Wolfe, and Isaac Yiadom.
37 players were on at least one respondent’s roster, but not all eight
Those players were represented as follows:
|DaeSean Hamilton||7||Don Barclay||3|
|Justin Hollins||7||Keishawn Bierria||3|
|Sam Jones||7||Joe Dineen||3|
|Zach Kerr||7||Malik Reed||3|
|Colby Wadman||7||Billy Winn||3|
|Jamal Carter||6||Trinity Benson||2|
|Brett Rypien||6||River Cracraft||2|
|Dymonte Thomas||6||Austin Fort||2|
|DeMarcus Walker||6||Alijah Holder||2|
|Juwann Winfree||6||Trey Johnson||2|
|De’Vante Bausby||5||Aaron Wallace||2|
|Jake Brendel||5||Quinn Bailey||1|
|Jake Butt||5||Chaz Green||1|
|Jeff Holland||5||Romell Guerrier||1|
|Alexander Johnson||5||Kevin Hogan||1|
|Joseph Jones||5||Trey Marshall||1|
|Su’a Cravens||4||Khalfani Muhammad||1|
|Brenden Langley||4||Jake Rodgers||1|
Possible takeaways from this survey
- There are hardly any believers in Kevin Hogan among the respondents. And the one Hogan mention that I tallied was ambiguous as to whether to go with Hogan or Rypien, who got six clear adds to the roster. This is despite the Broncos at least giving the impression that Hogan has a real chance to make the team.
- The clear majority say that Winfree will make the team as a likely #5 WR. Langley got half of the respondents’ support, while Benson and Cracraft got a couple votes, but other than that and a lone vote against DaeSean Hamilton, there was wide consensus about this position.
- There are some doubters as to whether Jake Butt will ever be healthy enough to make the roster. Early camp surprise Austin Fort is the beneficiary of that doubt.
- Wilkinson may seem like a surprise unanimous choice, but recent praise from Rich Scangarello may make that seem less surprising. Sam Jones was near unanimous for another backup offensive line position, with Schlottman and Barclay coming in with about half of support from respondents.
- The defensive line was nearly unanimous in its entirety. Only Winn occasionally pushing out Kerr or Walker triggered any semblance of dissent here.
- Inside linebacker, however, was all over the place behind Davis and Jewell. All but one respondent gave Hollins the rookie benefit of the doubt (and he may not even be considered an ILB), but beyond that no such player got no more than five votes. This is clearly a highly competitive and uncertain position, especially with Davis currently injured.
- Neither Jamal Carter nor Dymonte Thomas has been forgotten, with both getting majority support at safety, and ahead of Su’a Cravens, who only got half support.
- De’Vante Bausby was the favorite to be the last cornerback to make the team, but Trey Johnson and Elijah Holder were not ignored in that competition.