As the weekend is rolling around the corner, so is the breadth of news in the NFL. NFL talk is going to start slowing down until the season opens with the franchise tag opening on February 16th and then moves to free agency shortly thereafter. We don’t expect the Broncos to make many moves here at In Thin Air but, we do hope the Broncos use this time wisely to scout for the draft as they have probably been doing all season long.
Here are the news:
Yesterday’s Highlights (in case you missed it)
– “What Contract Should Brock Osweiler Receive?” – Bob Morris
– “Offseason Primer: Teams with the Most Available Cap Space” – Bob Morris
– Gordon McGuinness ranks the top 10 Big Uglies heading into free agency.
– Ben Stockwell makes a case for the Oakland Raiders making next year’s postseason.
– John Breitenbach recaps the top 25 breakout players according to the Pro Football Focus grading system.
– Joe Thomas continues voicing his disapproval of Johnny Manziel yesterday by saying the team will look to draft a QB in the first round. He also makes very clear that it’s a very sad end for him with the Browns.
– Steve Keim, GM for the Arizona Cardinals, tells media that they want to keep Tyrann Mathieu as a centerpiece of the defense.
– Texans Owner, Bob McNair, states there shouldn’t be any reason why the Texans wouldn’t be able to draft a QB in this year’s draft. He also notes that their QB play just has to be reliable in order to win consistently.
– Matt Hasselback is holding off the retirement train for one more season as he is strongly thinking about playing again next fall.
– Vontaze Burfict’s three-game suspension for his actions during the Wild Card game are the second longest for on-field actions.
– Magic Johnson, in what will probably be a unsuccessful talk, tries to convince Peyton to play one more year with the Rams.
– In a super-long feature piece for ESPN, Seth Wickersham and Don Van Natta Jr., detail the NFL’s return to Los Angeles.
– It looks like the Denver Broncos will be underdogs right out of the gate next year as well. In the ESPN-hosted vote for who will win Super Bowl 51 (LI), the Broncos are not even an option even though the Seahawks, Patriots, Steelers, and Panthers are.
– The praise of the Denver Broncos defense just keeps coming in five days after the Super Bowl.
– Brock Osweiler, unsurprisingly, tells media that he wants to stay among the special group he has in Denver.
– Von Miller talks some (OMG!) fashion with the Today crew yesterday.
– Broncos fans are not the only one unsure who the Broncos QB will be in 2016. CJ Anderson also says he has no idea.
Peyton plays egg roulette, among other things Broncos did in the media.
– The Steelers have had to restructure contracts due to poor salary cap management and one reporter from ESPN calls it genius.
– According to our blonde-haired stepchild of a owner on the West Coast, the lease they signed to stay in the coliseum wasn’t as willing as some perceived. He blames the Oakland A’s for not being able to move out, per the A’s ten year lease agreement with O.Co Coliseum.
– The New York Giants have hired former Lions GM Martin Mayhew as director of football operations.
– Justin Tuck will sign a one-day contract to retire with the Giants.
– Lions sign LB Jerry Franklin.
– P Swayze Waters has signed with the Carolina Panthers.
– After being cut by the Raiders on Tuesday, Nate Allen is back with the Raiders.
– Seahawks sign CFL prospects WR Jeff Fuller and RB Cameron Marshall.
“The past is history, the future is a mystery, today is a gift, and that’s why they call it the present.” – Turtle from ‘Kung Fu Panda’