The 49ers defense looked pretty good. Listen, the game didn’t go as we all wanted, but that’s why we have a preseason. The common topic that is on everyone’s mind is whether we should throw Paxton Lynch into the quarterback conversations. We absolutely should, however, keep in mind that almost all of his snaps were against a majority of players who won’t be on the 53-man roster. I still think he requires a season of grooming under his belt before he can play against a team like the Carolina Panthers.
Here’s the 10 things I liked and the 10 things I didn’t like:
10 Things I Liked:
- SLB Dekoda Watson played solid yet again
- TE Henry Krieger-Coble should get recognition after some spectacular plays
- QB Paxton Lynch made some really good decisions
- RB Kapri Bibbs made another case to make the roster
- TE Virgil Green is looking like a probowl player already
- SS Shiloh Keo was everywhere the ball was
- CB Lorenzo Doss didn’t get his name mentioned at all for a reason: no one would throw to him
- ILB Zaire Anderson
- Rookie RG Connor McGovern played extremely well
- Signing DE Henry Melton was a good idea. He’s been dominant in the past and is still relatively young.
10 Things I I Didn’t Like:
- CB John Tidwell was eaten alive
- SLB Eddie Yarbrough blew his zones and let some huge runs happen
- RT Kyle Roberts couldn’t stop the pass rush which leads to:
- QB Mark Sanchez needs to protect the ball better
- How did we let QB Christian Ponder run 22 yards for a touchdown?
- WR Bralon Addison missed some balls and ran a few wrong routes
- WR Durron Neeal – although he had a touchdown, he messed up a few catches when we needed them too. You have to be consistent.
- ILB Darnell Sankey let too many runs by him
- RG Michael Schofield didn’t look good, but remember he switched from his normal position last year where he improved greatly during the playoffs
- A pick-six will not be tolerated in the regular season
This was a horrible play that turned out better than expected:
You can’t deny how competitive Lynch is.